Monday, May 2, 2011

Wine Exhibit at the MOMA

On April 17th I drove down to San Francisco to see the final day of the wine exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art. Photos here include the mural of the 1976 Paris Tasting (they had a bottle of the Chateau Montelena Chardonnay that won the event but the pic I took came out fuzzy) and the "smell wall." Though I could have written the brochure description myself, I'm nonetheless plagarizing it here!......"How Wine Became Modern explores the visual culture of wine and its stunning transformation over the last three decades. Designed in collaboration with renowned architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, the exhibition combines historical artifacts, archi- tectural models, design objects, newly commissioned artworks, and enticing installations, including a "smell wall" to probe the many aspects of wine culture, among them the globalization of wine, concepts of terroir, wine in popular media, and new strategies in glassware, and winery design."


It was a wonderful exhibit (my pictures don't do it justice). If it comes to a city near you, go see it!!




















No comments:

Post a Comment