Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Lynn Pedone Wine Tour Continues

What's the best use of an extra hour and a half between classes? Wine tasting of course!! On Thursday, my classmate Erin and I visited Gary Farrell Winery and Rochioli Winery on Westside Road. At Gary Farrell we tasted two Chardonnays, two Pinots and one Zinfandel, and each left with a bottle of our favorite, the 2008 Westside Farms Chardonnay: aromas and flavors of banana, pineapple, lime, and honey-baked apple leading to baking spices, vanilla, marzipan and chalk dust (?)...can't say I detected all of those, but it was rich and delicious, and I don't spend $40 lightly on a bottle of wine! The tasting room had an exquisite view of the valley, and was elegant and trendy (loved the "local" artwork on the walls for sale).

At Rochioli, there were only two offerings, a Chardonnay and a red blend. The latter was bright and tasty and I bought a bottle: the 2008 Ranch Red - 60% Syrah, 20% Petite Sirah, and 20% Zinfandel. It is a rich and full bodied wine with hints of cedar, spice and red plums. For hearty meals and festive occasions :-)










2 comments:

  1. Chardonnay sounds delectable but $40 bucks a bottle is far too rich for me. I'm afraid each gulp would leave a bad taste on my palate making me gag as I swallow.

    ReplyDelete