Monday, July 11, 2011

My New Job!!



As if it wasn't exciting enough to have a working internship at Chateau Montelena for the summer, I was just offered a position as Assistant to the Vineyard Manager at Paul Hobbs Winery in Sebastopol! Incredibly, this job basically fell into my lap - the Vineyard Manager is a former SRJC student who contacted my current professor to ask if she knew of any current student(s) she would recommend for this new position just created for the winery...and she suggested me! I wasn't looking for a permanent or full-time job at this point because I still have a few more classes this Fall to complete my viticulture degree, so timing wasn't ideal, but it's something I couldn't pass up. And they made it easy by agreeing to let me work part-time (2 days a week) until I finish school; then, if I want to stay and they want to keep me, it will become a full-time, permanent position. I have to admit, I did not know much about Paul Hobbs when this came up. I'd heard of his winery but didn't realize how well-known and regarded he is, not only in California but throughout the world (he also makes wine in Argentina). Paul was the winemaker at Opus One and Simi before founding his own winery in 1991 with small lot, hand-crafted, vineyard designate Pinot noir, Chardonnay, and Cabernet Sauvignon wines. His wines are among the highest-rated - not your "everyday" wines....."world class, and priced that way too" - ! But the good news for me is that I will have a nice employee discount, so I plan on stocking my wine cellar while I can! The winery itself is gorgeous - the architecture is very modern, sleek, and stylish. And I've never seen cleaner tank and barrel rooms - definitely my kind of place! My new position will be the best of both worlds - half in the office and half time in the vineyard. There will also be opportunities to participate in harvest and cellar operations. My goal for the next 6 months will be to work hard and learn, learn, learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment