Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Battaglini Winery

I'm so excited to have discovered Battaglini Estate Winery! In looking for a local vineyard to use for a class lab report, Battaglini was recommended by my new friend Peggy Bennington, Pug Wine. This is a family owned and operated winery, headed by Giuseppe aka "Joe" Battaglini, his wife Lucia and children Giulio, Lidia, Paolo and Dino. On the day I just "showed up" unannounced, Joe graciously gave me a complimentary wine tasting and invited me to return for a tour of the vineyard so that I could begin my school project; as my report will evolve over the period of a couple of months, I hope to get to know Joe and his family, and I know I will learn a lot.


As for the vineyard itself, it goes all the way back to 1885, when another Italian immigrant, Bartholomew Lagomarsino, first planted Zinfandel and Petite Sirah grapes on the property (the Battaglini family has owned it since 1988 and added Chardonnay grapes in 1996). It is noteworthy that Joe is producing his wines (about 2,500 cases a year) from these same 125-year old vines, and with old methods using no irrigation (totally dry farmed) and no chemicals and by allowing all their wines to go through natural fermentation (no added yeasts).


They are located at 2948 Piner Road in Santa Rosa, CA, and I highly recommend a visit if you are in the area. The tasting room is small and quaint, adorned with medals and prize ribbons and pictures of the old country and Joe will treat you just like one of the family! As I indicated in the previous post, I thought all of the wines were excellent.


"VITTE VECCHIE, VINO BUONO"............Old Vines, Great Wines


No comments:

Post a Comment